Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Soundcloud Group Track

This week's track from the Soundscape Soundcloud Group comes by way of an Argentinian living in New Zealand. Axel Shaw, who operates on Soundcloud under the name of somethingshaw, created this piece while taking a bath.  

Might sound simple but, as the attached message to the track reveals, this was actually a fairly complicated and somewhat dangerous process, one that involved using a hydrophone (an underwater microphone) while in the tub. 

Take a listen to the tack and check out Shaw's description on how he recorded it below the image.

 

"This is me having a 10 minute bath at home. Recorded with my home-made Hydrophone [mic].

3 Samples were loaded into Gleetchab:
Channel 1: the raw (pre-edited) bathtub recording
 -This went straight into the mixer and into the Granulator

Channel 2: a bass drone I did sometime ago
 -This was the Carrier of my Convolution effect

Channel 3: a kick drum sample (pre-edited)
 -This acted as the Modulator of my Convolution. I wired it to a Feedback channel as well.

 The Convolution Output went into the granulator as well, producing a drony feeling. Then the Granulator was fed into the Feedback for a tiny little bit of humidity.


Sample Reading Speed were altered up to 0.00001 of the
original, giving a nice sub bass. Some of the samples were dubbed in order to create more character.

Then, of course, everything rewired into PT and some PlugIns here and there for the final mixdown and mastering. The session contains 1 Audio Track, 1 Aux Track, and the Master.

Funny little thing: this being my first home-built Hydrophone (which I did together with my friend Benni), there was a bit of tension and preoccupation of submerging myself into a liquid medium, knowing that if there was any leakage not only I would end up electrified, but it would have meant the instant death of my dear MacBook and MBox. To make sure I was up to OSH standards :P I wrapped it into a double-condom (the pinky Durex, for you curious people) layer. Still, this wasn't quite the most relaxed bath I ever had! haha, glad I made it ;)

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks Axel. 

Everyone else keep posting your tracks to the Soundscape Soundcloud Group. I'll keep featuring songs on the The Soundscape or right here on the blog. 

Needles

No comments:

Post a Comment